After using Twitter for almost 4 months, I am convinced Twitter is worth a try! Here is why:
1. Expanding Your Network—You will meet and learn from people in your industry who may otherwise never be a part of your network. Some of my most recent favorites: @kevinhalle, @Leadershipfreak, @dbonleadership, and @Jasonvana
2. Improving Writing Ability—writing in 140 characters or less forces you to boil content down to only what is necessary!
3. Viewing life differently—You will start to ask yourself, “What am I doing?” You may even do something or start reading just to have something to tweet. No joke!
4. Staying Plugged In—if it is in the news, it is on Twitter. I do not know of a news source that is updated faster.
5. Developing Brand “You”—let’s be honest, in a world of superstars and billionaires, it is easy to go unnoticed. It is also easier than ever before for Small Town Sally to get her name/product out there. If you are your most valuable commodity Twitter is a great way to spread the word!
6. Sharing/Receiving helpful info—whether recipes or Iphone apps, there are Tweople you can follow that are valuable resources!
7. Increasing blog/site traffic—like firing a digital flare, Twitter is a great way to let people know you new, helpful information for them.
8. Keeping Relevant—Industry leaders, growing businesses, and current movements all Tweet. If you want to be relevant, you have to be apart of that. Leaders are Twitters!
9. Being Heard—by mentioning names even the largest of companies can hear you. If they do not hear their customers, they will hurt. Or, like @coffeemate, they can make lifetime customers from great customer service!
10. Accomplishing a lot with a little—Everything you see above, in less then 10 minutes a day. Tweeting, following, and responding pays large dividends for little investment… at least until you bridge 10,000 followers.
Bonus: You will have fun—seriously, I love Twitter. I love hearing what people are up to, what books are coming out, meeting new people and learning from others in my industry. Try it!